01 June 2009

Brew #002: SAAZ Pale Ale (double malt)

I rushed this batch in an effort to get it fermenting over the Christmas New Year break, and learnt a valuable lesson. Don't cut corners!

I decided to follow the advice of the local brew shop. ie it's okay to use cold water straight from the tap. This was a double malt beer.

1 x 1.7 kg of Malt Extract tin (Mac's SAAZ Pale Ale)
1 x 1.8 kg of Munton's Light Malt Extract

I pitched the yeast when the wort temperature was 24C and it's specific gravity was 44.

When I got back from holiday it smelled bad. I had left the fermenter warming in a chillybin waterbath with an aquarium heater set to 22C and I suspect that dirty water had seeped in through the tap.

I didn't give up immediately and let this ferment for 30 days. It still smelled off, so reluctantly poured it down the drain, then focused on starting brew #003...boiling the brew water to make sure it was clean and chlorine free.

No comments:

Post a Comment